digital native or immigrant?

The title I gave this blog, "Digital Sea," is actually borrowed from a song by one of my favorite bands, Thrice. I don't know why I automatically associated "digital media literacy" with "Digital Sea"; the lyrics speak of being overwhelmed and shipwrecked by the digital presence in our lives, suggesting that technology inherently creates distance despite our (good) intentions.

(The song and music video to Thrice's "Digital Sea")

But while I know that the song's assumption -- that tech and digital media are short-lived positives in an otherwise bleak narrative that is the world, and nothing good can come of them in the long run -- is wrong, or at least misguided, my brain still went there automatically, and was comfortable in doing so. For that reason, I would have to say that I'm more digital immigrant than native. Wi-Fi, hashtags, and likes did not exist when I was growing up; my first real experience with computers was in third grade, when my elementary school received a roomful of the colorful first iMacs. Teachers were enthusiastic as we used the internet for the first time to research countries and topics for various projects.

By the time I was in 4th grade, we had a computer at home, but my parents distrusted "all things internet." Despite their fear, dial-up tone and the ever-familiar ring of AOL's "You've got mail!" became household presences. As we created usernames and chatted with friends, excited about being able to stay connected without ever needing to leave our house, my parents (and probably other adults) grew cautious and worried about the state of youth: not enough outside time or activity, not enough interest in anything but computers and video games... we were haunted (or possessed) by "digital ghosts."

Now the "newness" of digital media's presence in our lives has mellowed out, I think. More are on board than they are distrustful, but for me, still that uncertainty lingers, probably from being part of that period of time where digital and technological advances were slow. Suddenly, a new iPhone comes out very few months (to the point where it's not that exciting anymore) to a year, there are better cameras, more ways of utilizing the digital resources out there, and so on... we even have those reports of young people growing "horns."

As a science fiction reader, it's all very interesting, and I can't help but wonder what it's like to navigate the world never having that strange transition period that people my age did, to be a "digital native." Instead of crossing from one island to another, like I did, they were born on the latter. But whether it's a bad thing, and whether it will void us of our individuality and humanity... I think it's far too soon to say. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

padlet

final reflection